I am glad that my first name is not Harvey - DebateIsland Development Environment The Best Online Debate Website | DebateIsland.com
frame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DebateIsland Development Environment

The best online Debate website - DebateIsland.com! The only Online Debate Website with Casual, Persuade Me, Formalish, and Formal Online Debate formats. We’re the Leading Online Debate website. Debate popular topics, Debate news, or Debate anything! Debate online for free!

I am glad that my first name is not Harvey
in General

When terrible storms like Harvey occur, it really does disjunctice to people sharing the first name with the storm.
I think they should just stop naming storms after people, to discontinue negative connotations with certain first names.

SilverishGoldNovajoecavalrynorthsouthkorea
  1. Live Poll

Should we continue to name storms after people?

6 votes
    1. Good idea
      50.00%
    2. Bad idea
      50.00%

Debra AI Prediction

Predicted To Win
Predicted 2nd Place
Tie
Margin

Details +

Arguments

• edited August 2017
    @islander507
    It doesn't matter, reasonable people aren't going to go and associate a person with a Hurricane.
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • @SnakesOfferingApples, maybe...what about kids? They tend to give nicknames...
    WhyTrump - a good question
  • @WhyTrump

Well yeah, most kids are still developing their mental process when I was in elementary school, I did whatever I could to surround myself with friends and to get good grades.( I was the new foreign guy and I wanted to fit in.) I never bullied anyone, although looking back at it I never had a solid moral compass.
    This account is dead, my political opinions have changed significantly and I'm no longer active.
  • Yes, the names give them more of a personality.
    DebateIslander and a DebateIsland.com lover. 
  • Unless you're talking about some dude who just escaped a mental hospital, I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes being named after people.
    Retired DebateIslander. I no longer come here actively, and many of the things that I may have posted in the past (Such as belief in the flat Earth theory) do not reflect on my current views. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p6M-VgXHwwdpJarhyQYapBz-kRc6FrgdOLFAd3IfYz8/edit

• I called it Hurricane Steve Harvey. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. (I even saw an image where someone photoshopped Steve Harvey's face onto a graph of Hurricane Harvey)
  • They shouldn't stop naming storm after people die tot he personality it gives.
  • It seems that if someone has an unusual name Irma, they would be out of luck right now.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible
    - Walt Disney